Sunday 16 December 2012

Scrumptious food - Made in Mayfair

Mayfair.  Now, I can hardly claim to frequent the area.  It is by no means my stomping ground, and I can't pretend that I would ever be at home in The Ritz.  In fact, if I'm honest, I don't think they'd let me in.  But if you feel the same about this rather upmarket area of our dear capital city, but find yourself lost and in need of a beer and some bloody good pub grub, then fear not!  Take a left down Dover Street and step inside The Clarence.
The Clarence, Dover Street, London
On entering the pub, I was instantly hit by the warm atmosphere, the aroma of mulled wine in the air, and the bustle of people enjoying a few post-work beverages in the run-up to the festive season.  It seemed to be the perfect place for a cosy winter drink, and while you can dine in the bar area, I highly recommend taking the steps upstairs to the restaurant where you can choose from the same menu, but enjoy the benefits and comfort of quieter surroundings alongside impeccable table service.

After catching the sweet and spicy fragrance of the mulled wine in the bar area I'd already decided what my drink for the evening would be; sweetly flavoured and perfectly warm it was a fantastic start to the evening.  My partner took the excellent advice of our server for the evening, Anna, and tried a couple of ales throughout the meal, and all were thoroughly enjoyed.  There is a great selection and, if you are an ale drinker, you should definitely take advantage of the knowledge and expertise of the staff as they will be more than happy to find the right one for you.
We chose a pint of the Nicholson's home ale, and a festive mulled wine
For my starter I went for the smoked Scottish salmon, and what an absolutely great start to the meal.  The salmon was delicately flavoured, and was complemented perfectly by the yummy, salty cornichons (which might not be your bag but have a go, don't be pathetic).  I didn't finish all of the soda bread this was served with this as I found it a little heavy for a starter, but if you have a bigger appetite than me, get stuck in.  My partner went for the crispy squid with garlic mayonnaise; a generous portion and steaming hot with perfectly crispy batter.
The Scottish smoked salmon starter
Crispy squid starter
 My partner didn't hold back on the main and went for the ribeye steak, served with chips and a peppercorn sauce, plus two enormous king prawns to 'surf' it.  This was a proper man-feast and was beautifully cooked, and definitely enjoyed, but it's not a particularly cheap choice, and there are plenty of other delicious options on the menu if you find this one a little pricey. 

The fish basket main course was positively loaded!
I went for the basket of fish, which included cod goujons, scampi, king prawns and calamari, served with chips and tartare sauce.  The fish was really delicious, and beautifully presented in a basket with a stack of crispy chips on the side.  The portion was very generous, but I personally would have preferred a smaller amount, but served with some salad on the side - this came with no garnish at all which, for me, was the only thing I missed.  There is, however, a good selection of sides on the menu, including the house salad or vegetables, but whether you add these in or not, you won't be going hungry!

Dessert was out of the question, much as it pains me to say it, as we were way too full, so I chose to have a pot of tea whilst my partner went for an Amaretto latte (I nicked a bit when he was looking the other way and it was delicious, take it from me). 

Anna gave fantastic service, and was extremely attentive and helpful, and very keen to give assistance and advice.  She is a real credit to the company.

If you are ever in the area I thoroughly recommend a trip to The Clarence.  You will receive a warm welcome and friendly service, as well as some really good quality British pub food.  Then you can round off your evening with a stroll to see the Christmas lights, or perhaps down to Winter Wonderland in Hyde Park.  Or you can pop next door to Mahiki and pull a celebrity.
This wasn't your usual surf 'n' turf as you can see!
Guest blogger - AB

Click here to make a booking or for more information on The Clarence, Mayfair.

No comments:

Post a Comment